Diffstat (limited to 'Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-mtd')
1 files changed, 9 insertions, 8 deletions
diff --git a/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-mtd b/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-mtd
index db1ad7e34fc..938ef71e203 100644
@@ -142,13 +142,14 @@ KernelVersion: 3.4
This allows the user to examine and adjust the criteria by which
- mtd returns -EUCLEAN from mtd_read(). If the maximum number of
- bit errors that were corrected on any single region comprising
- an ecc step (as reported by the driver) equals or exceeds this
- value, -EUCLEAN is returned. Otherwise, absent an error, 0 is
- returned. Higher layers (e.g., UBI) use this return code as an
- indication that an erase block may be degrading and should be
- scrutinized as a candidate for being marked as bad.
+ mtd returns -EUCLEAN from mtd_read() and mtd_read_oob(). If the
+ maximum number of bit errors that were corrected on any single
+ region comprising an ecc step (as reported by the driver) equals
+ or exceeds this value, -EUCLEAN is returned. Otherwise, absent
+ an error, 0 is returned. Higher layers (e.g., UBI) use this
+ return code as an indication that an erase block may be
+ degrading and should be scrutinized as a candidate for being
+ marked as bad.
The initial value may be specified by the flash device driver.
If not, then the default value is ecc_strength.
@@ -167,7 +168,7 @@ Description:
block degradation, but high enough to avoid the consequences of
a persistent return value of -EUCLEAN on devices where sticky
bitflips occur. Note that if bitflip_threshold exceeds
- ecc_strength, -EUCLEAN is never returned by mtd_read().
+ ecc_strength, -EUCLEAN is never returned by the read operations.
Conversely, if bitflip_threshold is zero, -EUCLEAN is always
returned, absent a hard error.